As I mentioned on Facebook, 2015 is best described as "the best of times, the worst of times". While there were great parts of the year, there were also some very difficult parts.
The best of 2015
- Stephan's new job. While it was an adjustment at first (longer commute, longer hours, and different atmosphere), he is genuinely enjoying it now. We thought we were going to move closer, but decided that we needed to stay put, especially since...
- We found out we were having baby #2! Admittedly, it was a wee bit of a surprise, mostly at how quickly it happened after Stephan started his new job. Thank you for waiting until Daddy had a new job, baby ;)
- Finding out that baby #2 was going to be another little girl! I grew up with brothers and Stephan's sisters are about 12 years and three boys apart in age, so most bets were on me having a boy. Kate kept insisting she was getting a baby sister, and lo and behold, she was right. We were thrilled to be having another sweet little girl.
- Livia's birth. We love having her in our family and she's a sweetheart. It is an adjustment still, but we can't imagine our family without her. Her delivery was also really easy, so that was also nice.
- Kate turning three, getting potty trained, and preschool.
- Getting a minivan.
- Just a few months after Livia was born, she got a new boy cousin. Hopefully they'll be buddies.
- Kate and Livia got a new aunt. Ten days after Livia was born, their Uncle Brent married their (now) Aunt Michelle. Kate more or less claimed Michelle as her aunt even before they got engaged. And yes, I did attend a wedding ten days after giving birth.
- I turned 29. I plan to rock the last year of my 20s, and rock every birthday after that.
The worst of times
- Stephan's dad passed away after a very long battle with cancer. Basically our whole year centered around this. It has been hard, but we do feel his presence every so often.
- The pregnancy from hell. While we were delighted to have be having another baby, this pregnancy was very difficult. I was diagnosed with cholestasis at 28 weeks and had to go through nine weeks of itching hell. Then there was having gallbladder attacks two weeks before I had Livia. All of it was horrible. How horrible? I'm getting more sleep now with a young baby than I did before she was born. That's how bad. However, Livia is worth every last bit of it and I do not resent her in the slightest.
Okay, so only two "worst of times" though our year seemed to center around both of them. I don't know what 2016 will bring us, though there are plans in place. Kate is starting a dance class and continuing with preschool. We are going to Disney Land with Stephan's family just after Kate's birthday. At some point, I want to visit my family in Texas. We weren't able to in 2015 because of my father-in-law's declining health and because I had a high risk pregnancy and wasn't allowed to travel.
Bring it on 2016.